Corporate Volunteer Days
The Book Truck’s mission is to increase literacy skills among homeless, foster care, and low-SES (socio-economic status) teens in order to provide a pathway out of poverty. Through our Teen Literacy Events, Lit Centers, and Lit Boxes, we give away diverse, high-interest, high quality books and literacy support materials to under-resourced teens across Los Angeles County. Our innovative outreach programming gets even the most reluctant reader to open a book. Higher literacy means lower rates of teen pregnancy and incarceration as well as higher rates of high school graduation and finding a job.
We love companies that have a philanthropic spirit and hosting a Corporate Volunteer Day at The Book Truck offers employees the chance to engage in meaningful volunteer work with their colleagues.
Your experience: Through this experience your employees will gain a better understanding of The Book Truck’s teen literacy programs while contributing hands-on to the literacy support we provide for teens. Volunteer days provide the opportunity for your staff to give back to unhoused, foster care and low-SES teens. Your team will:
- Organize and sort 500 high-interest, high-quality books for our Teen Literacy Events and Teen Lit Boxes.
- Label books with genre stickers.
- Write attention grabbing blurbs and prep boxes and literacy support materials.
Our Corporate Volunteer Day includes:
- We host Corporate Volunteer Days at our offices in Long Beach.
- A customized in-person volunteer day (4 hours) experience for groups of 5-15 people.
- Social media recognition, volunteer photo in boxes, thank you follow-up photo of books being delivered, and (if provided) company logo stickers on boxes.
The cost of a Corporate Volunteer Day is $5,000, which covers the cost of the volunteer program plus 500 high-quality, high-interest diverse books and literacy support materials for 250 homeless, foster and/or low-SES (socio-economic) teens.
Please contact Executive Director Elizabeth Dragga at elizabeth@ thebooktruck.org for more information.